Horst Paul Albert Bohrmann
He was a photographer best known for his photographs of women and fashion taken while working for Vogue. His photos was appeared in French, British and American of editions of this magazine. For Vogue, he created one of the great iconic photos of the Twentieth-Century, “The Mainbocher Corset”.
His work reflects his interest in surrealism and his interest of the ancient Greek ideal of physical beauty. Although, most of his work is in black and white, much of his color photography includes mainly monochromatic setting to set off a colorful fashion. However, some of his work represented to androgynous look.
The picture of Marlene Dietrich is related with androgyny not only the outfit but also her position can show the character of strong women. Moreover, the color of this picture is black and white. It made this look more manly.
Marlene Dietrich, 1942
During his job, Horst took portraits of many famous person such as presidents, writers, artists and royalty. In the 1930s he took some of Hollywood stars including Rita Hayworth, Bette Davis, Vivien Leigh, Noel Coward, Ginger Rogers, Marlene Dietrich and Joan Crawford.
Behind the scenes at American Vogue, 1946
If you want to know more information about him, his exhibition “HORST: PHOTOGRAPHER OF STYLE” runs from 6 September 2014 to 4 January 2015 at the V&A.
List of references
From my research, I got many articles to find information about Horst Paul Albert Bohrmann. He is not only very poplar in Fashion industry but also he took a photo for Vogue magazine. His pictures are very beautiful and it has a own character. However, some of his picture related with Androgyny.
– Metcalfe, L. (2014) Horst at the V&A: The Vogue photographer behind the Mainbocher Corset [online] available from <http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/style/506184/Horst-exhibition-at-the-V-A-Museum> [28 October 2014]
– Horst (n.d.) ‘Selected works’ Fashion [online] available from <http://www.horstphorst.com/works.php?cat=fashion> [28 October 2014]
– Encyclopedia of clothing and fashion (2011) Horst P. Horst. Horst Paul Albert Bohrmann [online] available from <http://angelasancartier.net/horst-paul-albert-bohrmann> [28 October 2014]
– American Friends of the V&A (n.d.) Horst: Photographer of Style – A Timeline [online] available from <http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/exhibitions/exhibition-horst-photographer-of-style/a-timeline/> [28 October 2014]
– BBC News (2014) In Pictures: Fashion photographer Horst [online] available from <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28954939> [28 October 2014]
– American Friends of the V&A (n.d.) Video: Behind the scenes at American Vogue, 1946 [online] available from <http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/exhibitions/exhibition-horst-photographer-of-style/behind-the-scenes-aVideo:t-american-vogue,-1946/> [28 October 2014]